Wednesday, November 19, 2014

The Big Sleep Screening Report

The Big Sleep screening report



1.     Relate what was discussed in class or the text to the screening

In class we spoke about the rise of film noir, which had existed since the early thirties, but Humphrey Bogart popularized the private investigator aspect of film noir in his 1941 film The Maltese Falcon. His work in the big sleep and Casablanca helped to solidify him as a major Hollywood actor and breakout of the B movies he had worked in up until that time.

2.     Find a related article and summarize the content

In the article mysteries of the big sleep from the Los Angeles Times the author talks about the different cut of the film, which is the director, Howard Hawkes original cut. The studio bosses recut the film to make it more of a Hollywood film, which Bacall getting more lines and screen time, in the final cut. Hawkes directors cut was more faithful to the novel but it was dull and a ho-hum film noir.


3.     Apply the article to the film screened in class

The article applies to the film screened in class because it talks about the director Howard Hawkes having a separate cut of his film in which the Warner Brothers studio wrangled a final cut away from him for fear of the film not being commercially successful. This reminds me of RKO’s giving complete creative control to Orson Welles and then having to try and silence his finished product and after that they revoked final cut from him for his future projects so they could be shaped into more commercial films for audiences. The studio system would be hesitant to give directors complete creative control again.

4.     Write a critical analysis of the film, including your personal opinion, formed as a result of the screening, class discussions, text material and the article.

In the film the Big Sleep the audience gets to watch Humphrey Bogart’s Philip Marlowe investigate two separate but interconnected mysteries. The film is less concerned with the outcome of the murder mystery but with the twist and turns that lead Marlow throughout the case. I really like how we are as in the dark the entire case as the main character always wondering what twist and turn will come up next trying to make sense of all the pieces to the puzzle. 

CHECKLIST FOR PLAGIARISM 

1) ( x ) I have not handed in this assignment for any other class. 

2) (x  ) If I reused any information from other papers I have written for other classes, I clearly explain that in the paper. 

3) (x  ) If I used any passages word for word, I put quotations around those words, or used indentation and citation within the text. 

4) (x  ) I have not padded the bibliography. I have used all sources cited in the bibliography in the text of the paper. 

5) ( x ) I have cited in the bibliography only the pages I personally read. 

6) (  x) I have used direct quotations only in cases where it could not be stated in another way. I cited the source within the paper and in the bibliography. 

7) ( x ) I did not so over-use direct quotations that the paper lacks interpretation or originality. 

8) (  x) I checked yes on steps 1-7 and therefore have been fully transparent about the research and ideas used in my paper. 



Name: _______________Matthew Larue__________  Date: ________11/18/14_________



No comments:

Post a Comment